Cosmetic surgery procedures are becoming more popular by the day and more people are choosing to go under the knife to feel better about the way they look. Men and women spend huge amounts of money on cosmetic surgery, which is an industry that makes billions every year, despite the current recession.
The most popular cosmetic surgery procedure by far is breast augmentation and women have 90 percent of all cosmetic procedures in the UK. Among the men who take up the other 10 percent, rhinoplasty (nose surgery), liposuction and gynaecomastia (man boob reduction), are the most popular procedures.
More and more private surgeries are popping up due to the increased demand in cosmetic procedures, and although most private surgeries are reputable and run by fully-qualified professionals, there are occasional horror stories where you hear about surgeons getting their patients in and out as quickly as possible to make as much money as they can. It’s important to remember that every surgeon should provide their patients with the expected level of care.
A cosmetic surgeon should:
Be qualified: You should do the appropriate research to make sure your surgeon is fully-trained and qualified to perform cosmetic surgery procedures. Bear in mind that prior to April 2002, training was not a legal requirement, hard to believe, we know. Make sure you can get your surgeon to provide the necessary documents so you know they are reputable.
Be clear with the benefits and risks of the procedure: Your surgeon should properly inform you of all the risks of the procedure and should not give you unrealistic expectations, “This surgery will change your life” – the surgery won’t change your life but it may give your self-confidence a boost.
Give you time: the surgeon should allow you space to think about whether you want to go through with the surgery once you are aware of all of the risks. Undergoing cosmetic surgery is a big decision and should be thought through thoroughly.
Make you aware of the alternatives: Your surgeon should make you aware of any alternative procedures that could help you so you don’t have to undergo surgery.
Cases include extreme or unsightly scarring, lopsided breasts from breast augmentation, nerve damage from facelifts and a perforated bowl from incorrect procedures during tummy tucks.
All cosmetic surgery procedures carry risks and complications and if something has gone wrong, it doesn’t always mean you can claim compensation. Some operations will leave unsightly scarring, but in most cases, you will have been informed of this before you chose to have the operation. You will need to prove the level of care fell below what is expected in order to claim for cosmetic surgery compensation. If you feel you have been treated during your cosmetic surgery procedure, you should contact a specialist lawyer to help you with your case. Medical compensation cases can be traumatic, especially if you’ve experienced physical and psychological damage, contacting a specialist will ensure you are properly looked after and given the right guidance regarding your claim and other support you may need.
Smart Watches Rise In Demand As 45 Million Expected To Be Shipped By 2017
Types of Cosmetic Surgery
Retain the Benefits of Plastic Cosmetic Surgery With Sun Protection